Here’s an excerpt from a video with Michael Hyatt and Andrew Buckman about the three of the top ten mistakes bloggers make. Andrew shared his presentation on this at the Platform Conference I attended back in the spring.
The full list from the conference was:
- Not owning your brand – Have your site self-hosted. Don’t rely on using someone else’s platform. Don’t have a gmail, aol, hotmail email domain. Mask it.
- Not having an email newsletter – Reinforces the brand, allows for direct contact and replies
- Not thinking about conversions – What’s the number one thing you want to accomplish with your site? Always provide next steps for readers.
- Forgetting about SEO – Use the Yoast plugin for WordPress
- Hard to share your content – use social sharing plugins. Concentrate on the main sites. Make it easy.
- No analytics installed – Know who is coming to your site.
- Not keeping tabs on your site – Update plugins, use Google Webmaster tools
- Setup problems – Make sure you are using customized permalinks
- Hoarding plugins – Delete inactive plugins
- Not mobile friendly – Use responsive designs, make sure buttons are easy to click, DO NOT USE FLASH
If you’re needing help in any of these areas for your personal blog, email me and I can help.