I’m attending the Platform Conference this week in Nashville. Here are my notes from session one by Michael Hyatt:
- Is your platform borrowed or owned?
- Authors need platform and content to succeed
Five Steps to Building a Personal Platform
- Start with wow
- Prepare to launch
- Build your home base
- Expand your reach
- Engage your tribe
- If you don’t give your A-game first, you may never have a chance to use it.
- Don’t set goals inside your comfort zone.
- Write down goals with dates
- Form a pit crew
Social media framework
- You need to own and control the base. What is your final destination for all your online traffic?
- Have embassies to send people to your home base
- Monitor outposts: where people are talking about you without you being present
- Selling today is more about sharing than shouting.
- Generosity is the best marketing strategy there is.
- It’s hard to go wrong when you make decisions based on what your customer wants.
- You don’t engage a tribe through a monologue. You engage them through conversation.