I got to thinking tonight about the best food I had last year and started making a list. Here it is:
- Best Steak: Bone-In Ribeye at Hyde Park Steakhouse in Columbus, OH — Pictured above, this was one of those steaks where you take one bite, and it’s over. I knew that moment there wouldn’t be a better steak all year—and maybe ever. It was that good. I had a couple other steaks at high-end restaurants throughout the year but none held a candle to this one.
- Best BBQ: Brisket at Martin’s BBQ in Nashville, TN — Amy Jordan and Dr. Rainer share a birthday in July. To celebrate, our team in the office ordered in some barbecue from Martin’s. I had previously eaten Martin’s and it was good, but I had never tried their brisket. It was a game changer.
- Best Side: Lobster Mac & Cheese at Hyde Park Steakhouse in Columbus, OH — Sarah and Art Rainer were supposed to share this with me. Not sure I let them though.
- Best Cake: Warm Carrot Cake at J. Alexander’s in Nashville, TN — This may be the best cake I’ve ever had, hands down. When it first came, I thought I would bring back half of it for my coworkers back at the office. Then I took the first bite, and that changed my mind immediately. I ate it all then confessed to them my transgression when I returned.
- Best Sandwich: Grilled Pimento Cheese at Barlines in Nashville, TN — Gotta come clean about this one…it wasn’t even my sandwich. I was having a business lunch with Ronnie Floyd and Ronnie Parrot. Dr. Floyd ate half and didn’t want the other half of his sandwich. He offered it to me and I figured I’d have just a bite because it really looked good. After one bite, I didn’t care. It was outstanding.
- Best Burger: The Belmont Burger at The Pub in Nashville, TN — This burger has a spicy cheese sauce and onion strings and comes on a pretzel bun. It’s simple but amazing. There are places with great burgers in Nashville, and I think this burger is right up there with them. If I could only have one, this would be my choice.
- Best Breakfast Item: Pancake Balls at Katalina’s in Columbus, OH — It’s really rare to hit a place twice in one business trip. Especially for me at breakfast because I rarely eat breakfast. But I had heard about these and they lived up to every bit of the hype. It was my first meal in Columbus as well as my last.
- Best Food I Cooked: Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner — The pic doesn’t really do it justice. And the pic is amazing.
- Best Pie: Chess Pie – I made this one on Boxing Day after Arsenal got waxed by Southampton. I was mad at the result of the game, so I went and #AngryBaked. The resulting pie was simple and delicious.
- Best Meal: Mother’s in New Orleans — I took a quick 24-hour trip to New Orleans with Dr. Rainer early in 2015. We were staying 2 blocks from Mother’s, right on the Mississippi River. We got in about 30 minutes before they closed. I threw my stuff in my room and braved the rain to make it to Mother’s before they closed. It was worth the water-logged shoes and jeans. It was a taste of the homeland.
What were your food highlights of 2015?
Sounds like I’m your food connection.
– LOVE it! You guys were so much fun to work with and the Trailer is creative and uniuqe! The wedding was spectacular and you really captured the sweet love that these two share! We look forward to working with you guys again!Lesli and Bill Emmetts (divineimages.net)
I feel your pain re. Arsenal v Southampton
Good you put your anger to good use! 🙂