Notes from Day 2 of the Advance the Church Conference at Temple Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, MS
Colossians 2:6-15 – Jim Shaddix
2 Key Doctrines Identified
- Doctrine of Christ
- Doctrine of Salvation
2 Exhortations to remain rooted in the Gospel
1 – Let the Doctrine of Christ order your daily walk
- Embrace Christ as Lord – one time, in past tense
- Be built up daily – all the time in present tense
2 – Let the Doctrine of Salvation shape your worldview
- You’ve been given victory over sin and evil
- You’ve been brought into the family
- Your sin has been nailed to the cross
- You’ve been made alive
Colossians 2:16-23 – Dr. Russell Moore
No notes. I was out of the room for much of the session.
Colossians 3:1-17 – Tyler Jones
- We can use creation to make much of God.
- We can use Jesus’ nature (essence) to make much of God.
Before the work of Jesus in us (v1 – Since you have been raised):
- We were under the law
- We were under sin
- We were unrighteous
- We did not undertand God’s truth
- We did not seek after God
After the work of Christ
- We are under grace
- We have power over sin
- We are made righteous
- We are open to the thruths of God
- We can now pursue God passionately
Are we obedient? Obedience is a precursor to sanctification.
This sermon is a must-have when it becomes available for download. Best one so far from the conference.
So, too, all merely carnal objects become as a grave to us, whether they are sinful pleasures or selfish gains. For the dead man, the shroud, the coffin and the vault are suitable enough—but make the corpse alive and he cannot rest in the coffin! He makes desperate struggles to break it up. See how, by main force, he dashes up the lid, tears off his bandages and leaps from the bier! So the man renewed by Grace cannot live in sin—it is a coffin to him—he cannot bear evil pleasures, they are as a shroud. He cries for liberty!
Sessions 8 & 9
Colossians 3:18-4:1 – Eric Mason and Chuck Quarles
Missed much of these sessions due to work obligations. Did grab 2 good quotes though.
“I’m blown away that God would let me kick it with him” – Eric Mason
“Christ will not be made supreme in the world until he is made supreme in our churches, in our churches until in our homes, in our homes until our hearts” – Chuck Quarles
Colossians 4:2-6 – Fred Luter
Your life is complete in Christ and Christ alone
We MUST continue in the Faith
- Continue in Prayer (v2)
- Continue in Proclaimation (v3-4)
- Continue in Preparation (v5-8)
God will not tell us to do something and not give us the power to pull it off.
An audio download is a must for this one…unless there is video. Then the video becomes a priority. Seriously good stuff from Fred.
The Supremacy of God in the Nations – David Platt
I really enjoy listening to David preach. But it’s hard to take notes when I listen to him because I could write down the entire message. So here are his big three points.
- Let’s Proclaim the Gospel to EVERY Nation
- Let’s share in the sufferings of Christ
- Let’s live for the return of Christ