Notes from Day 1 of the Advance the Church Conference at Temple Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, MS
Colossians 1:1-8 • Jim Shaddix
- Practical application is worthless if it’s not done through the lens of the Gospel
- Theme word in the passage – “heard” or that concept
- What was heard by Paul – faith hope and love – those are how we should measure Gospel impact
- v4a – heard of their faith and it excited him enough to write
- v4b – indiscrimenant sacrificial love – a key to advancing the church
- How do my people reflect Faith Hope and Love?
- What did the Colossians hear – The good news, the Gospel (v5)
- 2 main components of the Gospel – truth and grace
- The foundation of all the church must be the Gospel – the truth
- What we need to hear – the ministry of the Gospel
- 2 components of pastoral ministry (Acts 6:4) – Ministry of Prayer and Ministry of the Word
- We need to pray more because of the greatness of the Gospel – this was all because of what Paul had seen and heard in his prayers. (v3)
- We need to preach more about the nature of the Gospel
- Participate more in the advancement of the Gospel
- We don’t need to make the Gospel more powerful, we need to turn it loose.
- We’ve never been commanded to plant churches, but been commanded to turn loose the Gospel.
- Prepare more for the consummation of the Gospel
Colossians 1:9-14 • Russell Moore
- v9 – Knowledge – Wisdom from and driven by the Spirit
- We are somewhat dead to spiritual wisdom, we try to supplant with man’s wisdom
- You need wisdom to know the way – only God imparts this wisdom
- The Gospel is not simply a matter of intellectual belief, repeating words, or affiliating yourself with some thing
- God’s blessing does not mean the absence of suffering
- Satan will cover over your sin with you
- God covers our sin with Jesus…and we are cleansed. Totally.
- We have the power of God’s deliverance in us
Colossians 1:15-23 • JD Greear
- Creation doesn’t embody God, but is evidence of God.
- Jesus died on the 6th day of the week (same as man created) as a representation of ending the old creation. Was raised on first day of next week as a representation of the beginning of the new creation. (NT Wright)
1. – The point of salvation is knowing and loving Jesus
- All the service for God means nothing to God if it isn’t done to glorify God.
- All the zealousness you have for God means nothing to God if it isn’t borne out of a passion for God Himself.
- If what we do is not done in delight of God, they are not pleasing to God.
- Love cannot be commanded…it is a response.
2. – The Gospel is the only place we can learn to love Jesus and serve God
- Spiritual growth is not produced by going beyond the Gospel, but by going deeper in the Gospel.
- You produce spiritual fruit by being caught up in a passion for the glory of Jesus Christ, not by trying to produce spiritual fruit.
The Christian Gospel is primarily 2 things – An Announcement and a Story
The Gospel is not what we need to go and do for God, but what God has already done for us
God is not after generosity for an offering, but for generosity for a lifetime
The law, no matter how eloquently preached, cannot produce change.
Religious authorities to John Bunyan as they put him in prison for preaching the Gospel: “If you keep preaching free salvation in Jesus based on his performance and not on theirs, Christians are going to do whatever they want.” Bunyan’s response: “If I keep preaching free salvation in Jesus based on his performance and not on theirs, Christians are going to do whatever He wants.”
- Are you more passionate about ministry or Jesus? When was the last time the Gospel made you, personally, weep?
- Are you giving your people what they need to grow?
Preach the Gospel
- After a lecture you leave with info
- After a speech you leave with motivation to act
- After a sermon you should leave worshipping
Colossians 1:24-2:5 • Tony Merida
1. – We have a calling (v.25) – We are called to be stewards of the Gospel (under God’s authority, proclaim God’s word). It is FOR the church. It involves suffering.
2. – We have a message – Make the word of God known. Make Christ known because he is the primary character in the Word (mystery revealed – v.27). If you preach Christ, you will NEVER run out of material. Luther-“The gospel cannot be preached and heard enough, for it cannot be grasped well enough”
Then I got lost in subpoints. Check www.TonyMerida.net for the full outline.